Avoid exposing your Jack Russell Terrier to the following potential problems:
- Chocolate - contains theobromine which can be lethal to dogs because they metabolize it slowly; toxicity depends on the type of chocolate and the dose of theobromine (i.e., baking chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate); those suffering from chocolate poisoning will have diarrhea, vomiting, increased urination and heart rate and hyperactivity.
- Alcohol - alcoholic drinks can be lethal, especially to small dogs.
- Batteries - if ingested, the corrosives in them can cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue and remainder of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Bones - Chicken and Turkey bones can splinter and stick in your dog's throat, stomach or intestines.
- Onions - contain toxins that destroy dog's red blood cells.
- Garbage - can cause gastrointestinal problems, including blockage and bleeding.
- Your Medicines - ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers or kidney failure (in large doses); don't give your dog medication unless under your veterinarian's direction.
- Xylitol - can result in vomiting, weakness, and sometimes seizures or death.