Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Puddin or smaller JRT breed

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  February 22, 2001 at 22:01:51

In Reply to: Puddin or smaller JRT breed
Posted by:  Janet Fix
Posted on:  February 22, 2001 at 21:41:46

Question:

: A friend of mine purchased a JRT from Kentucky and the breeder referred to it as a puddin. Have you ever heard of this? It appears to be a smaller breed or just a smaller JRT than I have normally seen. You can definetly tell that he is a JRT.

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Hi, Janet,

A puddin is a terrier whose body is longer than his/her legs. They have the same form of dwarfism as a bulldog, basset hound, Sealyham, Corgi, etc., which results in a normal trunk but dwarfed legs.

Puddins do not fit the breed standard for the Jack Russell, but are not completely overlooked in the JRTCA. They can still be recorded and enter several events at trials. I, myself, have a rather unique terrier who has a puddin front, and a breed standard Jack Russell's back legs who I bring to JRTCA trials with me. I call him a "Jacked UP Russell" since he's so tall in the rear end. He's not real fast, but I still enter him in racing events at JRTCA trials and he has a great time. He makes me really proud, but I've neutered him since I know he's not "to standard."

Hope this helps,
Jane