The Official Site - Q&A Forum Jack Russell Terrier Club of America  
Q&A Forum

Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

Re: What happened to his training?

Posted by:  Linda
Posted on:  February 28, 2001 at 13:15:03

In Reply to: What happened to his training?
Posted by:  April
Posted on:  February 28, 2001 at 12:50:48

Question:

: My now 9 month old JRT(Peanut) is misbehaving I don't know what happened, he was a good little dog that did what he was told and NEVER pooped in the house or in his crate. He gets tons of exercise sometimes I worry that he runs and hunts to much, he is neutared so it can't be that. My friend told me that he is testing me and to give it time he will come back to his old self. But I need to know that he will quit misbehaving. I even considered racing him to help maybe trigger his energy to one thing. I worked so hard with this puppy and I love him so much I want to work through this.
: Thanks,
: April&Peanut

------------------ Response Area -------------------
April,
Nothing has happened, it is just you are expecting him to be totally housebroken, and he isn't. Most dogs aren't fully housebroken untill they are 10 to 12 months of age and accidents are going to happen if you aren't watching him. No one is testing you, you have just assumed that he his housebroken or crate trained and allowed the accidents to happen. Keep an eye on your puppy and even as an adult if you don't meet his potty needs then they will have accidents. I nver crate my dogs for over 6 house without a potty break. Dog don't normally have accidents it is really the human counterpart that forgets to watch their dog for signs he has to go outside.
REgards
Linda