The Official Site - Q&A Forum Jack Russell Terrier Club of America  
Q&A Forum

Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Can I leave my puppy alone all day to go to work?

Posted by:  Linda
Posted on:  March 22, 2001 at 17:44:42

In Reply to: Can I leave my puppy alone all day to go to work?
Posted by:  Stephanie Regan
Posted on:  March 22, 2001 at 16:22:39

Question:

: My husband and I want to get a JRT. We both work during the day. We are generally gone from 7:30am to 5:30pm. We were planning on leaving the puppy in the kitchen with food and water as opposed to in a crate all day. Is this cruel to leave the dog alone all day? Would it be better to build a large pen in the back yard?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Ok Let me ask you something. Who is going to let this puppy out during the day time hours, how are you going to housebreak this puppy and if you leave it out in a pen, then who is going to watch it? who is going to give this puppy the exercise it needs and they need alot.
If you use paper and let it go to the bathroom on the paper, all you are doing is teching the puppy it is OK to use the house as a bathroom. There will be no one around to play with the puppy during the day, and when you get home from work are you going to have the time needed to spend with your puppy EVERY day of the week?

Most of the problems I see on this board are from people that work and don't have the time or the commitment to put into having this type of dog. Put in Housebreaking in the search engine and see how many related posts there are? If you were buying from me I would tell you to wait untill you are in a situation that some one can be with the puppy during the day. Please remember that dogs are for a life time, and they are a huge commitment and one that shouldn't be rushed into.
Do your homework, take our Profiler Jack Russell Profiler rad Bad Dog Talk,, Bad Dog Talk. Learn everthing you can about this breed before buying and make an informed decision. Not just what you want but what would be best for the puppy and when it grows up into a dog.
Regards
LInda