Post Response (Restricted)

Re: How smart are JRT's

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  April 28, 2001 at 13:26:01

In Reply to: How smart are JRT's
Posted by:  Teresa
Posted on:  April 28, 2001 at 00:49:24

Question:

: Are JRT's know to be among the smartest of all breeds? We have a 1 yr old JRT, Petey, that amazes me! My husband and I were recently out of town and my mother-in-law agreed to dog sit our JRT. While at her home he totally won her over! While she was sitting on the sofa watching TV, Petey kept coming to her and scratching at her hand and barking and then would go to the kitchen. After taking him out (she thought he might have to go to the bathroom) he continued to do this several times. She finally gave up on trying to figure out what he wanted and laid down on the sofa and continued to watch tv. Next time he came back to her he had his empty water bowl in his mouth, jumped up on her and laid his water bowl on her! Finally, she figured out he wanted some water. After giving him water, he laid beside her and was completely satisfied! We have never taught him to do this, he completely did this on his own. JRT's are amazing!!!

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Wow, Teresa! Now that's SMART! I have a German Shepherd who does this, but I trained him to do it because I was forgetful about feeding him. How cool that your dog did it all on his own!

As for being one of the smartest breeds, I've never seen anything in print about it, but then, most people think the "smartest" dog is the dog who is most easily trained, not necessarily the dog that is resourceful enough to demand water by dropping his water bowl on you. Too bad, because I think the resourceful dog is AWFULLY intelligent! But then again, this breed doesn't really need any more promotion that it already gets. Shelters and rescues are already seeing the results of overbreeding and the fact that this dog just isn't the dog for everyone who would like one! So maybe we can keep this as our little secret? :o)

Jane