Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Anal Sac

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  October 06, 2001 at 09:08:52

In Reply to: Anal Sac
Posted by:  sara
Posted on:  October 05, 2001 at 22:56:23

Question:

: my puppy sometimes scoots her bum on the floor after shes done 'her business'. i read in a book that it means she could have an infection and that the anal sac has to be cleaned and it says if i dont know how to do it, then the vet will have to teach me, and that it has to be done. i know it sounds funny but has this ever happened to your dogs, and do you know how to clean it?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Sara,

Your puppy doing the "butt scooting boogie" can mean a couple of things. Yes it can mean she has an anal gland problem or it can be as simple as a dirty bum. Sometimes when a dog eliminates, they might not think they got it all or maybe a little was left and they will try to rub it off. This is especially true with dogs with more hair than a smooth coat.

If the case happens to be filled anal glands sometimes a simple change in diet can help alleviate this problem.

I personally don't recommend a lay person to express a dog's anal glands because if it's not done properly you can cause the problem to worsen by driving the fluid deeper into the anal sacs.

The best thing to do Sara is to take your pup into the vet and let him/her have a look.

It's always best to rule out a physical problem first. If this is ruled out then your pup just might be trying to clean her bum!

Regards,
Marie