Post Response (Restricted)

Re: 2nd Jack - playful or aggressive

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  October 23, 2001 at 15:27:17

In Reply to: 2nd Jack - playful or aggressive
Posted by:  Denise Poggi
Posted on:  October 22, 2001 at 20:19:10

Question:

: We have a five year old female Jack Russell, Dixie, and two weeks ago purchased a 14 week old male, Rocket. Dixie let the pup know that this was her home first but gradually has been much more accepting -even sleeping on my lap with the pup's head on her. My question is when they play outside they do their terrier thing - run around side by side mouthing, nipping,pawing at each other. Rocket gets in position and charges at Dixie grabbing Dixie on the cheek (or under the throat) and in all their twists and turns has Dixie whimpering (Rocket really clenches, won't release and those baby teeth are sharp) Is this just normal dog behavior (I've never had two dogs before) or is the pup being aggressive? I've separated them several times and then Dixie lets him know who is boss. I don't want to encourage Dixie to be too dominant either. Do you have any suggestions? They really seem closer each day except for this nipping by Rocket. Thanks for your help.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Denise,

Congratulations on your new pup! Most of what you are seeing is just rough play that these terriers seem to enjoy. Rocket will be testing his boundaries with Dixie and I am sure Dixie will let him know when enough is enough.

Sometimes these dogs can play and sound like they are killing each other. It is up to you to continue to do what you are doing by keeping a watchful eye and if you sense the play is escalating into something else, then you be the one to stop it with some time outs for Rocket.

Once Rocket is old enough the two of them will figure out who is the dominent dog, in the mean time continue to treat Dixie as the princess that I am sure she has been. It is way better to do this while you have the puppy because you don't want Dixie to feel she is no longer the "star." Feed her first and pet her first and make sure you spend some time with just her.

So far it sounds like a typical 2 JRT household to me!

Good Luck!
Marie