Q&A Forum

Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

adopting a 8 mo. old female who is not trained

Posted by:  Sharon McMahon
Category:   House Breaking
Posted on:  November 26, 2001 at 16:09:06

Question:

I am trying to decide whether or not I am the right person to adopt an 8 month old female jack russel who up to this point was owned by a vet with two small children. The dog has been kept in a crate too long and when the vet was working brought her and left her in the crate. Also she was crated alot when she was at home. I understand the dog is not housetrained and urinates and defacates in the crate because she hasn't been let out. The dog lives in San Francisco and I live in San Antonio. I have taken your on line profiler and had all good points and no areas for concern. However, I'm worried that this problem will be very hard to work through. I have read many of your past Q & A's and have printed many of them. I guess my greatest concern is can this bad habit be broken by making sure the dog is well exercised, loved, etc. and following the housebreaking and crate training tips or will these be a major problem. I have an area where I can keep the dog. But I probably won't let the dog run free through the house since I'll worry about my floors and furniture. I am self employed and work out of the home.

Thank you