Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Biting when punished

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  December 05, 2001 at 09:37:50

In Reply to: Biting when punished
Posted by:  Trista Bolenbaugh
Posted on:  December 04, 2001 at 15:22:37

Question:

: Our JRT is four months old. He's house broken and is, in general, a well behaved puppy for his age and hyper breed. I'm worried because, on more than one occasion, he has snapped at and even bitten us when we've disciplined him. Example: while trying to pry something he's not supposed to have in his mouth from him he has bitten me. He's also bitten my husband when he's popped him for bad behavior. I know this is serious, but what can we do to make sure this isn't a trend.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Trista,

This is one breed that physical corrections only make matters worse. "Popping" your dog for bad behavior will only escalate any aggressive tendencies your dog may have.

You need to rethink your methods of correcting this pup and do something other than what you are doing.

You can start by getting this dog enrolled in obedience school. Many conduct puppy classes and they can show you proper techniques for correcting your puppy.

You might also want to invest in the book "How to Raise Your Puppy" by the New Skete Monks. It can even be purchased via this website. I'll provide the link. Look under training books.

This is an important time in your dog's life and how you raise and train him now will culminate in how he will be as an adult dog.

Regards,
Marie

Additional Reading: Training Books