• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: New puppy wants to sleep and not eat.

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  March 12, 2002 at 11:45:27

In Reply to: New puppy wants to sleep and not eat.
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Thomas Wells
Posted on:  March 12, 2002 at 10:46:17

Question:

: We have an 8 week old male that we just bought this past Saturday morning. When we picked him up he had not been fed that morning and was starving and gobbled down his food when we gave it to him. Every day since he seems to eat less and less. We took him to the Vet yesterday (Monday) to have him checked and to start on heartworm medication. He also did a stool sample and said he had worms so he treated for this but said otherwise he appeared healthy. Since the Vet visit he has eaten virtually nothing, his stool seemed a little runny but I thought this might be from the worm medication. This morning when I took him out he acted like he was going to throw up but all that came up was something that looks a little like "spit". I'm wondering if we should take him back in to the Vet or is he maybe missing his sibblings. He hardly whines all and is getting lots of attention here, maybe too much but I am starting to get a little worried about him.

Response:

Hi Thomas,

I always recommend going with your gut instinct. If you think there is something not right with your little guy, take him back to the vet and discuss this matter with him.

While a brand new puppy is a bit reticent when first arriving in its new home, it should have a healthy appetite. Puppies do nap a lot but I think he needs further evaluation and the sooner the better.

Puppies are kind of delicate as their little systems aren't as sturdy as an adult's. If he just vomited "spit" that's a good indication his stomach is empty.

Let us know how he is doing.

Regards,
Marie