Re: niece vs jrt

Posted by:  Shannon Osby
Posted on:  March 12, 2002 at 13:19:52

In Reply to: niece vs jrt
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Reagan
Posted on:  March 12, 2002 at 11:18:02

Question:

: Hi, we've got a great little 2yr old neutered male, Casey. He's great, all that know him love him, or he'll make them love him if it's the last thing he does. One problem though, We have a 3 year old niece, who is, well I guess the best word is spoiled. We visit about once a month or less and when we do it is not a very good experience for our Casey. This litte girl has been raised so that she teases, kicks, hits, yells at him and basically she has been raised to think she can do what ever she wants to an animal. There are two cats and two dogs where she lives and she torments them as well. Since this has been happening Casey has developed an agression toward her and pretty much all little girls. The worst part is that her parents or grandparents won't say anything. They just figure she should be allowed to do what ever she wants (including hitting and kicking him). He actually nipped her once and it scared the hell out her and while I felt bad I could bring myself to really get mad at Casey, she had him cornered after she had been told several times to leave him alone. I had hoped that incident would have smartened her up but the next time we visited nothing had changed. This is my husbands family so I have a hard time stepping in in certain situations, and I don't want to seem like a party pooper for our niece, but this is hard on every one. My mother in law even told me that if Casey bites her she'd feel sorry for her and be mad at Casey. What can I do? They allow her to tease and hurt animals, yet they would be mad at the animal for defending itself. Should we just avoid taking casey there, which would be tough because he goes everywhere with us. And any time we visit my husband's family our niece is there. I'm no expert on raising kids but something has to change. Any advice would be great.

: Thank you.

Response:

Yes I would avoid taking Casey to visit your neice, I think he would be much happier at home rather than teased by this young girl the whole time. Casey has done nothing worng other than defending himself.
Shannon

Additional Reading: Children FAQ