Re: Lameness

Posted by:  Linda Cranford
Posted on:  April 09, 2002 at 07:00:22

In Reply to: Lameness
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Julie
Posted on:  April 09, 2002 at 00:27:05

Question:

: Levi, my 7yr male, has in a short period of time (2 mon.) become lame in both legs. In the begining he was slowing down, took a while to get up...and started skipping a meal here and there. My husband and I thought he was getting arthritis and got him "doggie" asprin. This dog is no stranger to the vet and has had a history of abuse (breeder), so I thought arthritis was inevitable...wtihin the last 6 months has had X-rays (for other reason) so I really wasn't worried. However, in just the last few days he has been falling down (hind legs giving out) and I have had to pick him up. He of course has a vet appt. but not soon enough for my peace of mind! Is this common for arthritis & at this age?

Response:

Hi Julie,
7 is not old for a Jack Russell since the life span is 14 to 16 years of age. No arthritis isn't common for this age, I am seeing it in some of my older dog who are 13 and 14 years but not my 7 year olds. They are still reeking havoc, running and playing, like kids. I don't see mine slowing down untill the get about 10 to 11 years or age and then again it isn't as noticable as what you are discribing.

Please take your guy to the Vet and get him diagnosed, he may have some arthritic problems, but it shouldn't be causeing not eating and his legs giving out.
Let us know what happens at the Vet, and we will keep him in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
Warmest wishes,
Linda