Re: Scared of Parrot

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  April 23, 2002 at 13:49:06

In Reply to: Scared of Parrot
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Lisa
Posted on:  April 23, 2002 at 04:07:54

Question:

: This is a very strange question but I hope that someone can help.We have a 71/2 month old JRT the overly good puppy. The problem that we have is that he is scared of our Parrot. Every time we get the parrot out for his nightly fussing the dog disappears and will not come back into the room until the parrot is put away.When the parrot is in his cage he calls the dog and he sits by the cage and the parrot drops bits of bread out to him to eat and he jumps up the cage and licks him through the bars but when he is out it seems that he is really scared of him. Any thoughts !!!!!.

Response:

Hi Lisa,

Personally I would never let my JRTs around a loose bird. Once your terrier's prey drive kicks in, your parrot could easily become your JRT's lunch, and that's no joke.

I have a cockatiel and everytime that bird flips himself upside down on his perch my JRTs are trying to jump at the cage in a nano-second. If the bird was ever loose with the dogs in the same room, his days would be numbered. This is just the way it is with a breed of dog still very much a hunting breed.

One of our Q&A reps came home to an empty but locked bird cage....yes, you guessed it, the dogs pulled that bird right through the bars.

If he's afraid of the parrot right now, I personally would keep it that way. If he ever gets over his fear, your parrot could be at risk.

Regards,
Marie