Re: he killed an animal I was upset he thinks Im mad

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  April 28, 2002 at 22:48:08

In Reply to: he killed an animal I was upset he thinks Im mad
Category:   Hunting
Posted by:  Sash Bart
Posted on:  April 28, 2002 at 19:24:19

Question:

: Ok I love animals and at the same time understand that there supposed to hunt small game. But I thought that he would just chase the feild mouse into the woods. Instead he picked it up shook it and killed it. I couldnt stop him he was to fast. So my question is how do I make him understand that when he does that Im not mad just upset?

Response:

I still remember the disbelief I felt the first time my two terriers caught and killed a critter in our yard. Like you, I knew that they were a hunting breed but until that day, I didn't really "believe" it and I certainly didn't think they would kill. My terriers didn't understand why I was upset either.

There's nothing like seeing the "nature of the beast" up close and personal to open our eyes, huh? The hunting instinct is just that -- instinct -- and is an intregral part of our terriers personalities. In their minds, they didn't do anything "wrong" and cannot understand why we would be angry or upset. You don't have to like it but you do need to find a way to accept it.

Your terrier is still the same dog who curls up on your lap, makes funny noises when he's sleeping and loves to play fetch. He's also more then that... and "that" is just another part to love and accept.

Best,
Leslie