Re: Exercise

Posted by:  Linda Cranford
Posted on:  June 07, 2002 at 15:09:30

In Reply to: Exercise
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Liza
Posted on:  June 07, 2002 at 14:58:23

Question:

: Hello! Thanks again for being such a tremendous resource to me and my little one.

: My 12 Week old JRT boy seems to be acting a bit strange lately. I come home everyday at lunch to let him out and play a bit to break up his day. Lately, he does not want to play at all at this time. In fact, he's not in the mood in the morning either.

: I throw the ball and he just watches, and taking him for a run around the neighborhood just seems impossible, as he plops down, and won't move. (I think he got freaked out by the mean Chow across the street that is always behind the fence.)I hope to be able to let him run around at the park once he's a bit older and has been trained. He does tootle around the yard for a few hours each day, but certainly no hard playing.

: I know he needs to get his energy out. (based on all that I have read here an in books) But honestly, I am at a loss. Right now, I just let him chase me at a full sprint around the pool for about 45 mins, but this can't be enough!!(And I know I can't keep it up for much longer than that)

: BTW, Classes for me and the little one start in a few weeks.

: Any suggestions.

: Thanks again, as I am really trying to do the right thing.

Response:

Hi Liza,
First I want to say, DON'T PANIC, your puppy is just normal and I have a puppy the exact same age, and she is doing the same thing.
If he isn't being distructive and all else is fine this is all you can do, and this is all I can do. Exercise in small puppies isn't the same as adults, heck even my adults tootle. I don't know where you live but where I am in NC it is hot and my gal just likes to nose around the yard, and maybe she will play ball and maybe she won't.

I think you are doing a great job, and if running around the pool is what it takes then keep it up. LOL
Best regards
Linda