Re: buying a dog

Posted by:  Linda Cranford
Posted on:  June 21, 2002 at 10:21:43

In Reply to: buying a dog
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Garth
Posted on:  June 21, 2002 at 08:59:49

Question:

: My wife and I would like to get a dog. We have active outdoor lives but we both work. I mentioned this in my last question and the response was that it could work if we paid extra attention to the dog once we were home. I am a little worried that even with extra attention after work the dog will still not have enough. there are so terribly many warnings about the amount of human contact this breed needs. Are there other breeds that I could look into that are still active smart dogs? I realy prefer the short coat and i have a strong dislike for "frilly" dogs. You know the type, more often then not they'r named lacey? Anyway everything about the JRT realy appeals to me. I just don't want to be another one of those owners that finds out there dog can't stand the lack of atention while they are at work and end up bringing it to a shelter. Thank you very much for your time.

: Garth

Response:

Hi Garth,
Thank you from all of us for doing your homework before buying this breed!!

As you may or may not know most of us have only Jack Russells and aren't familiar with other breeds of dogs. I had Carins before I had Jack Russells and any Terrier breed is much like a Jack Russell I really don't know any breed that would be OK and not need attention when you get home from work!! All dogs need attention and love, but some like the Jack Russell are more in need than others. I would suggest that you look at the Web and do a search on what you are looking for. Read about the needs of dogs, and they breeds that are less demanding than the Jack Russell.

I wish I could help you farther but as I said most of only have Jack Russells and aren't familiar with other breeds
Regards
Linda