Re: Harnesses

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  June 29, 2002 at 22:54:20

In Reply to: Harnesses
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Kristel
Posted on:  June 29, 2002 at 21:43:23

Question:

: First of all, thank you for the responses to my questions. It is mucb appreciated =0) My question is about buying my pup a harness. I do know that most of you do not approve of them, but considering my pup has been scratching his away (it is a nylon and he has only had it for a little bit over a week), I would like to get him a harness. I'm thinking that since it isn't around his neck, then he won't have a problem with a harness. He is also a pup that wanders a lot while walking him. Though of course we are taking him to kindergarden class for this act as well. What are your suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
:

Response:

Hi Kristel,

As one of the volunteers who does use a harness (!), our terriers were over a year old before we used them. Which means, they were trained to obey commands BEFORE they ever wore their harnesses. It would be a mistake to walk Vexx on a harness before he (and you!) get any training.

Please check the fit of the collar -- you should be able to slip your finger between his neck and the collar. I would also feel around the inside of the collar to make sure there are no irritating threads, etc. Finally, a 5/8" width is usually a suitable size for a pup but Vexx may need the smaller 3/8" width.

Please be patient with Vexx and his collar issue; he's only been wearing it for a week. Again, it's okay to give him a break from wearing it (see previous post.) And it's more then okay to distract him from the collar with toys, games, walks...understand? :-)

Hang in there, Kristel...

Leslie