Re: Rawhide/Chew Toys

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 01, 2002 at 19:56:45

In Reply to: Rawhide/Chew Toys
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Jim
Posted on:  November 01, 2002 at 10:03:07

Question:

: First, thanks to all of you for this great website and great advice! It has helped us with our now 7.5 month old JRT soo much, along with 3 training courses haha! Anyway, my question relates to rawhide. I know most people don't recommend it, but there are so many types of rawhide chew toys, (strips, pressed, knots, granulated, etc.) and of course the Nylabone "roarhide" bones. Are any of these acceptable chews for my dog? We have been using nylabone bones and an occasional KONG but he is really starting to go through the bones QUICK! I will continue to buy these for him, but would love to find something a little cheaper based on how fast he is going through them. (About 2 Giant Size a week!)

: Thanks for any suggestions!
: Jim

Response:

Dear Jim,

The reason most folks don't recommend giving rawhide chew toys is because the dog must be 100% supervised while chewing on them. Additionally, there is a concern regarding chemicals used to cure the hides.

That being said, I give my terriers their rawhides twice a day. I call it "designated chew time" as I do not leave the room nor are they allowed to do so either. I also cut off any pieces after chew time is over that I consider potential choking hazards. When looking for "safe" rawhides, I recommend those cured/made in the USA; be sure to read the fine print on the package/shrink wrap.

If your terrier is a big time chewer, I recommend the large, tightly rolled sticks and the large size knotted bones; you can cut them in half if he has trouble maneuvering them. :-)

Best,
Leslie