Re: Crate Training - How long?

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 02, 2002 at 01:14:53

In Reply to: Crate Training - How long?
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Daniel Heney
Posted on:  November 01, 2002 at 22:44:01

Question:

: I have a 6-month old JRT named Milo. He has been crate trained since he arrived in our home. My question is how long should I confine him in his crate before I can allow him to not be confined in the crate at night? He has only had one accident in the crate and that was shortly after we started. He goes in his crate without to much of a fight and cries a little, but not longer than 5 minutes.

: Thank you.

: Dan in Wisconsin

Response:

Dear Dan,

"How long" depends, in part, upon where Milo's crate is located. If his crate is outside of your bedroom then I recommend you continue to confine him at night. If his crate is in your bedroom, then you can consider either providing him with a "doggie bed" or allow him to sleep in your bed. The other "part" of this answer is about trust; are you sure that Milo can "hold it, not get into anything he shouldn't, etc, without your supervision?

You've done a great job thus far, Dan, by training Milo to accept his crate. Thank you for considering the consequences of allowing him to be loose at night before you do it... :-)

Regards,
Leslie