Re: Feeding in crate

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 02, 2002 at 22:04:25

In Reply to: Feeding in crate
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Melissa Swain
Posted on:  November 02, 2002 at 21:13:19

Question:

: I searched the archives, but was unable to find an answer to my specific question. We are proud to be owned by 2 JR's - a 2 year old neutered male and a 6 mo. old (soon to be spayed) female. My husband and I disagree on the method in which they should be fed. Up until now, we have fed both in their crates. He thinks we should be able to train them to eat their food in the kitchen - and leave each other alone while they do so. Ha!! As the alpha (and greedy little pig), my 2 yr old likes to inhale his food and go after the puppy's. I think they should continue to be fed in their crates to reduce any food competition that might arise. Are we asking for trouble if we allow them to both stay out of their crates while eating?

Response:

Hi Melissa,

I always say the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Food competition is a perfect way of starting some serious aggression problems because as soon as your female is old enough and comes into her own there can be some serious spats. Food is one of those triggers that can cause an ugly fight.

Your male is finding himself alpha right now, but don't be too surprised that once your female matures that she doesn't take that spot. ;)

I have two neutered terriers that do eat in the kitchen together and lucky for me they both eat at the same rate of speed haha! Even at that I always stand there and watch them eat, I never let them eat their meals unattended. I have been very lucky so far we haven't had any food fights but with these terriers everything is subject to change in a nano-second.

I vote you still feed them in their crates.

Regards,
Marie