Re: House Breaking

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 01:33:19

In Reply to: House Breaking
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  Greg
Posted on:  November 02, 2002 at 22:07:29

Question:

: Spike is a ten month old male JRT. He is basically housebroken, but he does occasionaly poop in the same general area of the living room. This generally occurs during periods after everyone has gone to bed and he is not in his crate. I try not to crate him during the periods when I am at home because he is crated normally for 10 hours during my work day. He will alert me that he needs to go out by jumping around the door. If I miss this signal he will go to the same room close to the same area.
: How can I 1. keep him out of the room period, and 2. what can I do to train him to give some type of audible alert such as barking etc.

Response:

Dear Greg,

Yep...I imagine it is easy to miss Spike's signal if all the lights are off and you're sound asleep. :-) I understand you not wanting to crate him at night (10 hours is a long time) but it's not a good idea to let a pup wander around the house unsupervised; obviously this is why you crate him during the day, yes?

Instead of giving him full run of the house, I suggest you confine him in the bedroom. You can put his crate in the room (with the crate door open) or provide him with a dog bed/blanket to sleep on. By his being in the same room with you, I doubt you will have to confuse him by changing his already established "signal."

Spike's preference for this particular area of the house could be scent-related; it's not enough to remove the stain, you also have to remove the odor. Please thoroughly clean the soiled areas with an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle is one such product) and be sure to closely follow the directions.

Finally, I would ask that you find some way to limit the amount of time Spike spends in his crate -- not so that you can crate him at night but rather so that he gets the physical/mental exercise he needs. If you can't enlist your family/friends/neighbors to help, ask at your vet clinic or training school for recommendations for a dog walker. I'm sure there's someone out there who can give Spike a mid-day break... :-)

Best of luck,
Leslie