Re: abuse

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 12:27:27

In Reply to: abuse
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Kylea
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 11:51:53

Question:

: I recently built a house in the country. the people down the road have a group of outside dogs. One of these dogs was a JRT female. She lived there for about 2 1/2 years and was beaten with a horse whip. She sort of adopted me this past June. I love her very much and she has come a long way since I got her. The constant urination and cringing has disappeared. She is becoming vocal and very playful with me and my parents when they come to visit. We walk and play everyday. My concern is that when my friends come over she gets very upset. I can actually see the hair on her back stand straight up and she barks and growls. I realize this is probably a trust issue due to the abuse, but how do I get her past the fear? She loves to go with me everywhere and I want to include her. Do I just need to give her more time and assurance? Thanks for your help.

Response:

Hi Kylea,

On behalf of all of us here, thank you for saving this terrier! As you can see she is so grateful you did that and will continue to show you how grateful she is, it's one of the most rewarding endeavors you will ever have, to gain the trust of a dog that was mistreated.

Time is everything in these types of matters Kylea. If you haven't done so already, enroll you and her into a group obedience class. Not only will you end up with a better companion, it will increase the bond between you but will also socialize her more to other people and dogs, and the biggest plus is it will build her confidence. A confident dog is a less fearful dog.

When your friends come over make sure to have a treat bucket or something by the door so when they enter your place, they can gently offer her a treat or a small toy. Make their visits something where she can expect pleasant things to happen. Some dogs will intially go ballistic when someone enters your house, in some cases just crating the dog for 10 minutes while the company settles in and then releasing the dog might help (but only do this if you KNOW the dog will not bite). Your trainer will have other tips and ideas on how to work through this problem.

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with her so far. Keep up the good work!

Warm regards,
Marie