Re: Malting

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 12:35:12

In Reply to: Malting
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Heather
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 11:37:59

Question:

: Hi, I have the most adorable JRT 7 months old ( who has just been sterilized ) I couldn't ask for a better natured pet ( although he like to chew things :o(, My only problem is his hair loss, he is short hair smooth coat, he is aloud to come in to our lounge room at night and spend time with the family , his hair is everywhere and is not easy to clean off ( my husband is starting to get annoyed with this ) please give me some suggestions or advice to some how reduce the malting as I want him to continue to come into the house.
: We brush every day, have tried fish oil capsules, only bath fortnightly........help

: Thank you
: Heather

Response:

Hi Heather,

Sorry to say but you have picked the coat most likely to shed. I have 2 smooth coated terriers (thinking hey no grooming haha) but I spend lots of time cleaning hair off of everything!

Smooths shed 24/7, 365 days of the year. Your only defense is to groom the dog daily. For this I use a small soft rubber curry meant for horses that I purchased at a feed store. This is the very best tool in taking hair off a smooth coated terrier, you will be amazed just how much comes off in a curry session! Even with daily brushing with the right grooming tool you will still have some shedding but it won't be nearly as bad.

The curry also works great to remove hair off of upholestry too. Just make sure to find one soft enough as some currys are very hard rubber, then currying your dog will only be an unpleasant experience for him. The soft curry also massages the dogs and they love that!

Hope this helps,
Marie