Re: Nipping/biting

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 21:52:00

In Reply to: Nipping/biting
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Stephanie
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 11:51:43

Question:

: I have a 6 week old puppy and all he dose is bit are sokes and shirtes.We boute him choe toys but he will still not stop.We have a rope,five bones,and a old tolew.What should I do?

Response:

Dear Stephanie,

There are several things you need to do for, and understand about, your pup.

First: At 6 weeks of age, he was too young to leave his mother and siblings; he is missing out on some very important training. It is now up to you to provide structure in his life; part of that requires that you apply "appropriate" consequences for his actions.

Second: If you do not want your pup to chew on your clothing, do not offer them to him. He doesn't know the difference between a sock that is "acceptable" and one that isn't.

Third: Our Nipping/Biting FAQ explains the behavior and offers suggestions on how to deal with it; please see the link below.

I hope you'll review the other FAQs offered on this site; there is a wealth of information available through our Search Engine as well. The more you know about "why" your pup is behaving in a certain way, the better you will be able to deal with it properly.

Enjoy your pup; be patient with him and yourself. :-)

Regards,
Leslie

Additional Reading: Nipping FAQ