Re: taking away crate

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 04, 2002 at 21:48:02

In Reply to: taking away crate
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Diane
Posted on:  November 03, 2002 at 22:40:13

Question:

: I have a 2 year old male very aggressive dog. He has been in a crate when go to work all his life until the last month I have been letting him stay loose . When I come home he is waiting at the window, has not bothered a thing in the house, no accidents or anything and seems to be much happier when I come home. Is this the right thing to do or am I asking for trouble.

Response:

Dear Diane,

Allowing an adult terrier loose in the household unsupervised is really up to the individual owner. As your terrier has shown himself to be trustworthy thus far then by all means, leave him loose. Just be sure to continue to keep your house dog-proofed.

As for his aggression -- you need to seriously consider addressing whatever his issues are with a behaviorist. Aggression problems often stem from a dog's lack of confidence/security about it's proper "role" in the family. By observing your terrier, a behavorist can identify the specific issues and then provide you with a training plan specially suited for your terrier and your family.

Good luck,
Leslie