• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Allergic to pup

Posted by:  Jo
Category:   Other
Posted on:  November 05, 2002 at 18:40:58

Question:

I just read a post about a woman that took in a JRT pup but has to leave him in the garage because of her allergies.

I too have allergies but have toughed them out because my love of animals far outweigh the annoyance of allergies. I just wanted to let her know that there is hope.

I am on several nasal sprays, an inhaler and a daily pill (don't know if i'm able to say what on the post) and it helped ALOT. Winter is a little more difficult because we are inside more that out because of the cold. But I have made all the needed adjustments. He has a crate with a fluffy bed so he isn't wandering and shedding when I'm not home and I have a fully pillow bed that's just his that he is allowed on. It might even help to find an old chair that he can get up on so he's not on your furniture. But he still feels part of the family. Teaching the "off" command is a huge deal to keep him off the furniture that you are on and most of all VACCUUM!! and get a good one with a hepa filter. They are only about $100. Once a week I go around the whole house. But my place is small. You could always section off your place so he's out of certain rooms like the bedrom. You need one space that you know is doghair free. Just get a simple baby gate. They learn to respect it. Mine has done very well with it.

Of course I cheat and I cuddle with my boy when I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. He's such a part of my heart and soul it's not possible for me not too. In the 2 years that I've had him I've actually built up a tolerance and my allergies aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. It CAN happen. I think it has to do with the love for the dog. Almost like a "higher up" said ... "ok, I'll give you this one". :-)

Just know that it is possible to have a dog like this and survive with allergies. Whatever you decide, he is much better off in a garage with an owner that loves him than under a deck in the snow with an owner that should be left out there themselves!