• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: JRT needs to be fattened up!

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 05, 2002 at 22:42:33

In Reply to: JRT needs to be fattened up!
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Frank
Posted on:  November 05, 2002 at 19:31:13

Question:

: My 12 week old JRT Tonka just went the vet for his latest shots. During the checkup, the doc noted that he appeared to be a bit too thin, but other than that, she was impressed by his health and general disposition. We are encouraging him to eat more often now, and we are trying a different food for him. Is there any other methods we can use to help "pump him up"?

Response:

Dear Frank,

Oh sure -- ask about how to fatten up your terrier while one of mine is losing her girlish figure! LOL! :-)

Until the age of 6 months, I recommend dividing the daily ration of food into three meals. One cup of a high quality kibble per day is a general guideline for JRTs; you can adjust the amount up or down depending upon the individual activity level, metabolism, etc. You may want to try adding a little bit of warm water to the kibble and letting it sit for a few minutes (think stew, not soup) to get his "attention" before you give him his meal.

If you have to "encourage" Tonka to eat more often, then you may be dealing with a picky eater; see our FAQ regarding this very common problem (link below.)

Best,
Leslie

Additional Reading: Picky Eaters FAQ