• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: JRT obedience school, trials and age requirements.

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 01:34:55

In Reply to: JRT obedience school, trials and age requirements.
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Eic Ruygrok
Posted on:  November 05, 2002 at 13:06:05

Question:

: I am the proud new owner of a wonderful JRT pup from Ontario which was flown to me at eight weeks of age. He is now 10 weeks and his personality and character are truly developing. I am looking for direction towards age guidelines in regards to obedience school and the puppy kindergartens I have read about. Also, I have found dog obedience schools, but none so far that are geared towards JRTs in Calgay, Alberta. We are following many of the suggestions we have read in this forum and what do you know... THEY WORK!! Could you refer or point me in the right direction?

Response:

Dear Eic,

Congratulations on your new family member and thank you for letting us know that our suggestions actually work! :-)

Puppy Kindergarten classes require the "kids" to have received all of their puppy shots but not necessarily a rabies vaccine (given at 4 months in the USA.) The reason we recommend these "early" training classes is because they offer more then teaching basic commands; they provide "playtime" in order to socialize the dogs and address issues related to living with a pup like housetraining, chewing, etc.

You do not need to find a training school that is specifically geared towards JRTs; positive reinforcement is a widely accepted training method regardless of breed. Your local JRT club (JRTCC.com) should be able to provide you with specific recommendations.

Best,
Leslie