Re: Annoying other dogs in the house

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 16:26:02

In Reply to: Annoying other dogs in the house
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Mandy White
Posted on:  November 05, 2002 at 12:00:31

Question:

: I have 3 JRT's Bobby who is a neutered male who we adopted - Jess a spayed 2 year old female and our most recent addition a 5 month old female Tilly. She is coming on very well but constantly wants to play with Jess, well I say play, she constantly wants to keep jumping on her and nipping her around the mouth. Now outdoors Jess finds this fun but indoors she does not like it and even if she shows agression towards Tilly this only deters her for a while. It got to the point where Jess would have to go upstairs to split them up but we do not feel that this is fair on Jess. Tilly will not do this to Bobby in fact she gives him a wide berth apart from when they are sleeping.

: I have thought about putting Tilly outside the room every time she does this to Jess do you think this should work or do you ahve another suggestion.

: Thanks

Response:

Hi Mandy,

Well it sounds like you have your hands full. Tilly is still very much a puppy and is showing puppy behavior.

You don't mention how old Tilly was when you brought her home so it's hard to say why she continues this behavior even after a correction from Jess. If she was taken away from her litter mates and mother before the age of 8 weeks, this could explain why she doesn't back off. The pups all go through a critical socialization period with their litter mates and mother from the ages of 3-8 weeks. This is when they learn acceptable behavior within the pack. How much nipping and biting will be tolerated by litter mates and mother. They learn about discipline during this critical time.

Jess is doing the natural thing by telling Tilly just how much she will tolerate, so she is doing her job. Your job at this point is to always supervise the play time between the adult terriers and this pup.

So maybe you can help Jess out by crating Tilly when she goes back after Jess. You know it doesn't hurt a puppy to have some "time outs" because as you know they can get pretty wound up.

Just remember, that you will have to be consistent in your corrections otherwise you are just wasting time. Tilly is getting to the age where she will start to mature. I assume you are planning on spaying her also? I hope so because you can be playing with fire having two females together, you will need to be pretty vigiliant watching these two interact and I strongly recommend crating your terriers seperately whenever you are not home.

Regards,
Marie