Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 16:40:12

In Reply to: Alliergies to dogs
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Shanna
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 15:09:25

Question:

: Hello-
: I am allergic to dogs very bad. And my little girl wants a dog. I have herd people can have dogs but I don't know what ones there are that I can have. If you could tell me what type of small dogs I could possibly get, that would be great.

Response:

Hi Shanna,

There are no truly hypo-allergenic breeds however there are some breeds that people with allergies seem to do fairly well with.

Dogs that have coats more like hair than fur seem to shed less than other dogs so you might want to check out breeds like poodles, yorkies, sily terriers, bichons, papillons, and then there is the Chinese Crested and Mexican Hairless.

JRTs are some of the worst offenders for people with allergies, especially the smooth coats that shed 24/7, 365 days a year and also produce lots of oil.

Also if you use HEPA filters for air filtration in your air conditioning and heating units this will help, along with a HEPA filter vacuum.

These breeds with "hair" as opposed to fur do require a lot of grooming though (well at least the ones WITH hair).

Hope this helps!
Marie