Re: Tearing up my bed

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 22:55:56

In Reply to: Tearing up my bed
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Chris
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 11:54:23

Question:

: I have 2 Jacks. Max who is 10 months and Roxy who is 6 months. I keep them indoors while I am at work. Unfortunately they are in my bedroom for 8-12 hrs a day. Most of the time someone comes in to take them out and play with them. I leave them chew toys during the day and rotate the toys out every couple of days so they dont get bored with them. I cant get them to quit tearing up my bed. They pull the sheets off and chew holes in the matress and then urinate on the bed and pillows. Any suggestions?

Response:

Hi Chris,

I have a one word suggestion for your dilemma...CRATES! And more exercise, this breed needs some hard exercise and at their ages they are just dynamos.

Your terriers are not getting enough exercise and their behavior indicates to me that they are bored beyond belief.

You need get these dogs crated so they don't continue to trash your room. You need to have someone come in every day and spend some time with them. Chew toys are poor substitutes for human attention, especially if you are leaving them for that length of time.

Twelve hours of confinement is way too long and you need to find some way of making sure these dogs are taken care of in your absence.

You might want to enroll them in doggy day care at least one or two days a week to break up the monotony of their days. Hire a neighbor, friend or relative to come over and spend time with these dogs taking them out and exercising them.

You are not going to get your terriers housebroken if you are leaving them alone for that length of time, someone should be coming over every day not most of the days.

And if you are going to start crating them to keep your house intact it is imperative that you have someone come and tend to them. Too much time spent alone, especially crated can lead to serious psychological problems.

Regards,
Marie

Crate Training FAQ, Is Crating Cruel? FAQ