• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Anal Sac Problems related to hormones?

Posted by:  Sharon Sluss
Category:   Medical
Posted on:  November 07, 2002 at 11:58:27

Question:

I have a 9 year old JRTCA reg. intact male JR. I am hoping to use him for breeding one last time this coming Spring and then neuter him but have a problem that has come up that my vet is encouraging me to neuter him sooner as the "cure." He has had a chronic anal sac infection for the last month or so now. It was expressed by the vet (pus and nastiness) and he was treated with antibiotics. He was rechecked a week later and reexpressed. The infection seems to have cleared up except that he has intermittant bleeding from one side of his anus but no futher sign of pus. Where the anal sac tube comes out, there is a little tissue (part of the tube) that protrudes a tiny bit from his anus which is where it bleeds. I've seen him trying to lick it and have to wonder if he's continually reirritating it and causing it to bleed. If you feel the glands themselves, there is a bit of "hardening" there and I believe it is the tubes that come from the sacs that have hardened. The vet is telling us that hormones due to his being intact can cause this hardening and until we neuter him, the anal sac problem may not clear up. I'd like to wait until I breed him one last time but want more to do whatever is best for him. I have searched and searched on this topic and found nowhere any mention of this problem can be related to hormones or being intact. Has anyone else any insight into this? Should I get a second opinion?