Re: puppy sleeping with me at night/not using crate

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 08, 2002 at 08:47:30

In Reply to: puppy sleeping with me at night/not using crate
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Jennifer
Posted on:  November 06, 2002 at 23:53:31

Question:

: My question is this, in all the reading I did before bringing home my JRT pup,who is just 8 weeks, there was huge emphasis on crate training. We have the crate and the doggy bed, but we have let the pup sleep with us since we brough him home on Saturday. He is slowly beginning to go into his "bedroom" on his own. I have not pushed or forced the issue because I do not work and getting up to let the little guys do is business is easy.
: Am I doing more harm than good? He does real well with the potty training. Has even began to respond to the training of "Sit".
: I am not afraid of the whining, so if I am told to get himout of the bed than I will do just that. I am in love with our baby and am looking forward to a long, fun and never boring journey.

Response:

Hi Jennifer,

There is no problem letting your puppy sleep with you in bed if that is what you want. Many of us let our dogs sleep with us. The terrier that I raised as a pup slept with me from day one :)

However, you should continue to work with him regarding crate training as it's an important part of raising a dog. You never know when you might have to crate him out of necessity.

The only thing to be aware of as he gets older that if he shows any signs of dominance aggression towards you then he loses all bed/furniture priveleges.

If he can be a good canine citizen in your bed then there is no problem having him there.

Just remember, continue to crate train him. Even though both my terriers sleep with us, they are also crate trained.

Have fun with your new addition!
Marie