Re: Seizure like episode before vomiting

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 08, 2002 at 17:38:15

In Reply to: Seizure like episode before vomiting
Category:   
Posted by:  Kathy Castro
Posted on:  November 07, 2002 at 12:47:25

Question:

: I've had my JRT a short time never owned one or heard of them until I got my dog from animal control. When my dog vomits before he does his body shakes like hes having a seizure he doesn't loose control of bowel movements nor urinate after he vomitts he's fine runs around like nothing happen. I took him to my vet and he can't figure it out told me it couldn't be a seizure because vomiting isn't associated with seizures. I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Response:

Your vet is correct, vomiting is not associated with seizures. Some dogs experiencing a grand mal seizure will foam at the mouth, but usually this activity is accompanied by a stiffening of the body which in turns causes the dog to fall over and then after the rigidity passes, paddling of the feet.

If your terrier is experiencing multiple episodes of vomiting then he needs to be seen for a diagnosis of another problem.

Vomiting can be signs of lots of different things, but seizures are not among them.

The only other thing I can suggest is if this is happening fairly frequently, to videotape it and show it to your vet. He should be able to then determine whether your dog is indeed having some kind of seizure.

Regards,
Marie