Re: exercise and older JRTs

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 08, 2002 at 17:59:39

In Reply to: exercise and older JRTs
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Jill
Posted on:  November 08, 2002 at 14:18:46

Question:

: We have two 10-year old littermates (male and female) who are still healthy, but I sense they're slowing down. The question is, should we shorten their walks or will they let us know when they're had enough? Are there any other things we should be aware of as they get older? I seldom read in the Forum about older Jacks and as I know they can frequently live into their very late teens, I'd be interested in hearing what is to be expected as they age. Thanks!

Response:

Dear Jill,

We too have 10 year old littermates who are starting to slow down a bit. What we find most interesting about it is that we're the only ones who have really noticed the change...LOL!

Personally, I would not shorten their walks unless you notice the slightest change in them physically, or behaviorally. Since this breed is so tough mentally, your attention to the smallest detail is important.

I suggest you include a full blood work-up as part of their yearly exam to make sure their organs are functioning properly. You may want to consider having their eyes checked out as well.

Regards,
Leslie