Re: nails clipped

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 09, 2002 at 23:11:31

In Reply to: nails clipped
Category:   
Posted by:  mike ford
Posted on:  November 09, 2002 at 23:03:50

Question:

: my jack russel gets EXTREMLY aggressive when i clip his nails , it,s gotten worse, and he,s bitten me good enough to draw blood. other than that he seems fine he,s less aggresive after we got him fixed, he will nip or mouth my hand sometimes and i pinch his lip or jaw to discourage him . bu it,s gotten to the point where he growls even if i touch his feet now. HELP.

Response:

Hi Mike,

This can be a pretty common problem. Lots of dogs hate getting their nails clipped. You might want to try muzzling him while clipping or you might want to consider getting a nail grinder.

I have a small cordless Dremel with a sanding drum attachment. I use fine grade sanding bands. My dogs are much more tolerant of having their nails sanded rather than clipped. I don't know how I did without it! Well I do ... I had the vet techs clip their nails haha!

You can find the Dremel Minis at Wal-Mart and places like that. Mine ran around $25.00 much cheaper than what some of the pet catalogs are charging for pretty much the same product.

The only problem with the Dremel is it's so much fun I keep pestering my dogs to trim their nails haha!

Regards,
Marie