Re: Age to let puppy go

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 09, 2002 at 23:13:48

In Reply to: Age to let puppy go
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Kelley
Posted on:  November 09, 2002 at 22:07:50

Question:

: I have a new litter of JRT puppies. Our female was bred with a male from the breeder I obtained our female from. I am very impressed with the breeder's facility. She has beautiful dogs who always seem to be happy. I have been there several times and have always thought it is clean and neat. Her stud fee is pick of the litter. She wants to take the puppy at 6 weeks but I am concerned it may be a bit too early. I think she will be sending the puppy to a new home shortly after getting her. Also, she is completely and indoor puppy now and will be until she leaves. She won't be six weeks old until Nov. 27th. Since the breeder is so experienced and has other dogs, would this be ok or should I wait until the puppy is older?
: She won't even be getting solid foods until she is four weeks old. I am worried she will still need her mom at 6 weeks. I have read through the old posts that say a puppy should stay with her litter until 8 - 12 weeks. Please help! I want our little girl to be ok when she leaves us. I really like this breeder, but don't want to send the puppy that early.

Response:

Dear Kelley,

I understand that you really like this breeder and are impressed with her dogs/facilities/etc. However, I am deeply concerned that this person would even consider taking a 6 week old pup away from it's mother and littermates. Not only is this not in the best interests of the pup, in some states it is illegal to sell a pup before it is 8 weeks of age. And though no money is actually changing hands, this can still be considered a "sale."

Before you talk to her, you may want to do some more research about the subject. I highly recommend "The Art of Raising of a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete (link below.) This book provides a wealth of information not only about the stages of puppyhood but also about basic canine behavior; I think you'll find the information about temperament testing a litter very interesting as well.

Hopefully, you will be able to convince this breeder that waiting until the pup is -- at minimum -- 8 weeks old is the correct and ethical thing to do.

Good luck,
Leslie

Additional Reading: Recommended Books FAQ