Re: Behavior Problem

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 09, 2002 at 23:44:49

In Reply to: Behavior Problem
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Patricia
Posted on:  November 09, 2002 at 16:45:01

Question:

: My Jack Russel is 9 months old. The training was going very well until now. For the past 2 months she has stopped sleeping with me, she used to love this. Whenever I try to get her to sleep w/me she will start trembling. She is easily frightened now, I slammed the door and found her in a corner trembling! In addition, she has begun to be destructive, she tore the carpet in the apartment, she tears everything she can. All this is done while I'm away at school. I don't know what is wrong w/her. Please help.

Response:

Dear Patricia,

Dogs don't start a new behavior without a reason. I recommend that you first have her examined by your vet to make sure she is not suffering physically.

If she is healthy, then you need to determine what changed in your lives when the behavior started -- new environment, new people, new schedule? Once you know what caused the change, you can take steps to correct the problems.

According to your post, your terrier has been exhibiting unusual behavior for two months. If this is not a physical issue, it's likely the behavior has become a "habit" for her. It may take up to twice that time for you to end the behavior so please be patient with your little one...and yourself.

Best,
Leslie