Re: Being a Therapy dog

Posted by:  Sheryl E.
Posted on:  November 11, 2002 at 13:37:35

In Reply to: Being a Therapy dog
Category:   Russell Rescue
Posted by:  Kathy Castro
Posted on:  November 07, 2002 at 12:58:39

Question:

: I would like to know how I go about seeing if my dog can be a therapy dog the e-mail address that is in my magazine won't come up tdi@gti.net doesn't come up. I'm new at this and can use all the help you can give me. Thank you so much for time I truly appreciate it. It was a sad way how I got my JRT but I'm happy how it turned out, I found him and saved his life he was days away from being putting down, I found him at animal control, I can't believe his owners didn't even look for him he is the neatest dog I ever had, He is my first JRT I never heard of them before, he makes me laugh and I think he would make other people laugh.

Response:

Hi Kathy,

What a great idea; to share the laughter your JRT has brought into your life with others. My suggestion for getting him into a therapy dog program is that you call some of the places that offer training in your area and ask about therapy dog certification. He'll certainly need basic obedience training before he starts the therapy dog training. You might also ask your vet. Vets often know who the more reputable trainers are and who has certification. Good luck!

Sheryl