• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

11 month old "Jack" shows "split personality"

Posted by:  Nicole Justice
Category:   Aggression
Posted on:  November 12, 2002 at 01:52:18

Question:

Jack has been a dream puppy... Up until he started to snarl at us when we'd gently take things away from him that he wasn't supposed to have; i.e. Halloween candy, and when he suddenly (overnight) started to growl and snarl and snap at us while sleeping (like, if we accidently budged him while he was asleep)...This has worried us for approx. 3 weeks now. We've tried to kick him out of the bed for the night as punishment, but he yelps and cries until we're sure the whole neighborhood is awake and honestly, we just love him too much to hear him cry. I know that we have probably spoiled him a bit- but, when he caught that Grunion in the ocean the other day on our walk I found myself too scared to try to take it away from him by myself. He strutted it home in his mouth to show my boyfriend how proud he was...and then he played w/ it.. but, if we came near-he'd growl and protect it. Thank goodness the sdg&e guy came and distracted Jack otherwise, he may still have been protecting that fish! SO- here's the last straw. Lance, our oldest son returned from Az today and left a bag of peanuts from the flight where Jack could find them and he did. I told both boys (ages 8 & 10) to please stop chasing Jack and that I will try to get the peanuts away from Jack- (they do know better) and even after I had almost forgotten about those peanuts I asked Jack if he was ready for a walk?? I bent over to put on his collar and saw the peanuts- reached for them, and he snapped at me. I said loudly, "JACK, NO!!" and held on to the back of his neck and tried to pry the bag out. Once I scooted the thing out of his teeth, he immediatly bit my hand and clamped down. Then i stood up and he bit the tip of my middle finger and i walked away. I felt my finger throbbing and i looked down at it and to my suprise i was gushing blood. He actually broke thru my nail to the other side. I looked at him, my little angel, and felt his sorrow in those sweet eyes. I know i need to get him some help a.s.a.p. but I need to know how this happened to us and I need to know that even after he is trained that he will never bite anyone again.
Devastated,
Jack's Mom