Re: Toy Bully

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 12, 2002 at 15:18:20

In Reply to: Toy Bully
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Darla Sutton
Posted on:  November 12, 2002 at 01:27:22

Question:

: My Jack is a toy bully...he's 17 months and a neutered male. He loves to play, however, when he retrieves the toy he doesn't drop it. Instead we end up in a tug of war...which I have learned not to encourage, due to the dominance factor. The "drop it" command doesn't work, because when I say "drop it", he assumes he's done something wrong. So he spits out the toy and pouts until he's ready to play. Any suggestions how I may break this cycle with him?
: (I love this forum and your suggestions, very helpful.)

Response:

Hi Darla,

The "DROP IT" command is working if your terrier is actually dropping the item.

Believe me, don't worry about his "feelings", that will only get you into trouble. Your terrier needs to worry about YOUR feelings, not the other way around!

It's okay to love your dog, but not to the extent he takes over because you are too afraid of hurting his feelings.

So continue with the "DROP IT" command and then make sure to tell him what a good boy he is. He's still going to love you Darla, even if it looks like he's pouting. Just remind him of how much tougher life would be if he was sitting in a pound or shelter ;)

I always praise my dogs after they perform a command successfully, even after it becomes second nature to them.

"DROP IT" or "LEAVE IT" are two important commands every dog should know. It can save their lives one day.

Regards,
Marie