• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Spaying our little girl

Posted by:  David
Category:   Medical
Posted on:  November 13, 2002 at 01:13:22

Question:

I've been following with great interest, and concern, the questions regarding spaying lately.

Since my vet's office hardly blinked and asked no questions when I scheduled Moo's operation, I would like to know, specifically, what I should ask my vet regarding the surgery, the bloodwork, etc., to be sure that his office is handling the procedure in the "best" way.

Moo goes to a small veterinary practice, and while I had no reason to distrust the vet, I will admit that I am accustomed to multi-vet practices, most often associated with a high-tech hospital.

So, with that in mind, can anyone give me any guidance on what I can ask, without risking offending a good vet? Also, for my 5 month old, what should I anticipate the range of costs to be?

I was told the fee for a bitch her size would be $120, and I have to say that while I don't want to spend more than I have to, something didn't sound high enough about that. (Yes, I must be every vet's dream...a patient who thinks I should be charged more!)

I live in the Tampa Bay area, and haven't called around to ask what other larger facilities charge, but after reading the recent posts about the loss of a puppy, I have to say my level of concern is a bit higher than it might otherwise have been.

Our Moo is out daughter, and I don't take chances with her well-being.

Thanks for any input.