Re: Considering a new puppy

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 13, 2002 at 14:41:40

In Reply to: Considering a new puppy
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Karen
Posted on:  November 13, 2002 at 12:22:36

Question:

: I have a quick question. We are considering a JRT puppy. My husband is retired so he will be home all day. We also have a 9 1/2 yr. male rottweiller. He very laid back. He knows he's not the alpha in our family. What suggesstion can you give me on this decission? I know we will get a female and have her spayed. Our rott is also fixed. Can this work out between the two dogs?

Response:

Hi Karen,

I believe all of us that volunteer here on this board own only JRTs so we cannot give advise on how your rottie would do with a JRT pup. You are wise to consider getting a female though as same sex aggression regardless of breed can and does happen with this breed as well as others.

Most will depend on the nature of both dogs and how you go about introducing the two of them.

Please read the links I am providing to you and also do a Go-to-Ground search. We get this question a lot and there is lots of info about how to introduce a new dog into your home, to be found there.

Regards,
Marie

Other Breed FAQ, Jack Russell Profiler, Bad Dog Talk, History of the Jack Russell