Re: my dog is biting other animals and never had befor

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 14, 2002 at 08:42:02

In Reply to: my dog is biting other animals and never had befor
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  julie kelley
Posted on:  November 12, 2002 at 20:25:22

Question:

: i have a 2 year old jack and about 7 months ago my daughter got a boxer and she is so playful but my jack hates her big time and we have to seperate them or he will attack her and he has also attacked the cat.when no one is around he is very loving to me and good with the kids but i dont understand how he can change and hate like this so fast.i guess right now i am really confused.he had some puppies and we still have one of his son's and he has attacked him also. i love this little guy to death but when he attacked my daughters boxer i got in the middle of it and got bit and had to go to the doctors and when he was done he acted like he didnt know what he did and was lickin my hands.now when i put him in the cage all he does is cry and cry and i feel bad. can u please help me so i can try and work this out.i want my little guy back and how do i go about doing that....thanks

: julie b. kelley

Response:

Hi Julie,

I know it's hard to see your dog turn on and off like that. Part of the problem can because he is still intact. An intact dog is more likely to be more territorial and have more dominance issues.

So I strongly suggest neutering him. It will take several months for the male hormones to dissipate so don't expect overnight results.

As far as the cat goes, none of us here recommend having a cat and a JRT together. This is a working breed of terrier and so cats are just looked at as vermin by many, many terriers. I have heard of people that had a JRT and cat living together peacefully for years and years and one day came home to a dead cat. You never know when a JRT's prey drive is going to kick in.

Also same sex aggression is well documented with this breed (this can also happen with other breeds) and if you have two intact males in the house, aggression between the two is not unusual.

As far as the boxer pup, it sounds to me that relationship might never get better as most terriers "never forget." So you might have to keep those two separated at all times.

You also learned a painful lesson about trying to break up a dog fight. You never put your hands anywhere near them, they are in a frenzy and they don't see your hand as belonging to you, they are just biting. Find another way to break up the fight, but don't use your hands.

Julie, I also recommend you and your terrier get enrolled into an obedience class. It's so much easier to deal with problems when a dog at least understands and can perform basic obedience commands.

So neutering, school and separating the boxer and terrier are what you need to do.

Regards,
Marie