• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

How can you tell something may be wrong?

Posted by:  Lisa
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted on:  November 14, 2002 at 15:23:02

Question:

Hi,

I hope I'm not wasting your time with this question. I have a 14 mo. old male Jack named Petey(he's neutered, very well socialized and has been to obedience classes) and he's the sweetest, most loving little bundle of energy. I know JRT's are Type A personalities, in that they tend to go full speed, even when something's wrong. Recently, Petey started to just come up on the couch and climb on my lap and just sit there. I give him lots of kisses and tummy rubs, and then he lays down on my lap and lets out this SIGH(more like the kind you'd let out when your head hits the pillow after a long day), and then he just goes to sleep. If I move him off my lap, he still stays right by my side, but will have some part of his body(his head or his paw)touching me. He's always been affectionate, but it seems lately he wants to be with me all the time. Is he trying to tell me something? Everything else seems to be normal. He's eating just fine, and still runs around like a maniac at the dog park. I did buy him a comfy new bed a few months back for his birthday, and now he's taken to sleeping on it at night rather than in bed with me(except for around 3am, like clockwork, he's on my bed for the last 2 or 3 hours I have to sleep, under the covers, snoring away)which is a major behavioral change, in that he's been sleeping with me since he was 8 weeks old.

I've read that the only way to tell something is wrong with your terrier, if he's not exhibiting any outward symptom like not eating,is a behavioral change. I know having a Jack that loves you to death is a problem we all should have, but I just want to be sure I'm not ignoring some "sign".

Thanks for your help!