Re: Help! 11 month old Jack still pees in his crate

Posted by:  Shannon Osby
Posted on:  November 14, 2002 at 15:57:29

In Reply to: Help! 11 month old Jack still pees in his crate
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  Dave
Posted on:  November 13, 2002 at 23:40:06

Question:

: I'm at wits end with my dog. I've read 3 different books recommended by this forum and follow all of the teachings that are common in each book. I keep him on a strict feeding schedule, use a high quality kibble and get him out for exercise and play with him as much as possible. I had him neutered at 6 mos. and he's gotten a clean bill of health from the vet. I make sure I'm alpha and make him work for everything and I don't let him get on the furniture or sleep in my bed. As I leave for work, I go nonchalantly try not to make a fuss. He's housebroken, except for the crate (which he likes hanging out in. During weekends there's usually no problem b/c I've seen him hold it for more than 6 hrs at a time. My current schedule is the follwoing: I feed him at 7:30am, give him water at 8am, leave for work at 8:15am, arrive for lunch at 12:45pm, leave for work again at 1:15pm and come back home around 5:45-6pm to get him outside, and then the feeding/watering schedule starts again a 7:30pm. But it never fails that he's peed before I get home for lunch and dinner. I keep his crate clean and use an enzymatic cleaner. I don't understand. At his age, and from everything I've read on a dog this age, he should be able to hold it in 5hr spurts or less. Every book or webpage I've read has mentioned that dogs like to keep their dens clean. I'm beginning to think this is a bunch of BS. I just don't know what else to do anymore. The only thing I do know is that I'm cleaning a crate and bedding twice a day. Can anyone thing of any suggestions b/c I'm completely frustrated and ready to throw in the towel.

Response:

Well just as each book and each webpage are different so are each dog. How big is his crate? It may be too big for him. What type of crate are you using? Wire or Plastic? You gave your schedule and it looks fine but what time to yall get up in the morning, is there a way to give him his water earlier and make sure he eliminates before you leave for work, right now it does not look like he goes out after receiving water at 8am. Have you tried the same schedule of the weekend to see maybe exactly how long he is able to hold it.
Shannon
Submissive Urination FAQ, Crate Training FAQ