Posted by:  Carol Pierce
Posted on:  November 15, 2002 at 18:48:31

In Reply to: Smell
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Nina
Posted on:  November 15, 2002 at 01:06:40

Question:

: Hello,

: First, I would like to say that your forum has been a blessing for me and my baby, Gunnar. He is 4 months old. I have two quick questions. He seems to have a funny odor. I had my vet check him out, she says he is fine and suggested that I use a "dry bath" for him in between his monthly bath. I have used the puppy wipes, but the smell is still there. Any suggestions? Also, I was told by the breeder not to feed him Rawhide products, as he cannot digest them, and I have learned from your forum that pig ears are a no-no. Any suggestions on what I can get for my little guy? He loves to chew!:o)

: Thanks,
: Nina and Gunnar:o)

Response:

Dear Nina and Gunnar, Thanks for the compliments, on behalf of the whole website.

First, about the baths: regular bathing is not a good thing. It dries out the skin and coat, taking the oils away that the coat needs. Unless Gunnar gets into something really horrible, stop the bathing. A mix of baby powder & cornstarch can be worked into his coat & then brushed out, gently, so he doesn't breath it in. This will help with odor & loose dirt.

Second, about the chews: I hear differing opinions all the time about rawhide chews. My dogs have always handled them fine, and just love them. I'm stingy with them, tho. Try Gumma-bones, and Nyla-bones. Every pet store has them. Mine also like beef shin bones and beef knuckles. You have to watch carefully for splintering or biting off chunks. But, they really love to chew them.

Gunnar sounds like a happy fellow. Best of luck.

Carol