Re: Fear of crossing busy roads

Posted by:  Carol pierce
Posted on:  November 16, 2002 at 13:17:53

In Reply to: Fear of crossing busy roads
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  John
Posted on:  November 14, 2002 at 08:55:34

Question:

: Hi there. My 1 1/2 year old female jack russell is afraid of crossing busy roads and refuses to move no matter how I pull her along. What should I do? I feel lost as I cant bring her around much as I live in a built up area. Please help....

Response:

John, thanks for the question. Hope I can give some help.

First, I'm sort of glad your girl is shy of the busy roads. SO many Jacks are fearless and plunge right into the traffic.

Second,"pulling her along" is not good. If she wears a collar, she can easily back right out of it, leaving her loose and out of control. This would be a night mare. A harness would offer better control; and it sounds like basic obedience school is in order. Your Jack needs to be trained to walk where you want to go, no matter what the situation is. Explain to the trainer about the traffic hazards. Until you get her into school, just scoop her up and carry her across those roads. Its the safest and quickest solution. BTW, don't over-sympathize and communicate your fear to her. Be matter of fact, and stress that she's a good girl, and there's no need to be scared to death.

Best of luck, Carol