Re: Itchy Skin

Posted by:  Judy Churchfield
Posted on:  November 17, 2002 at 09:09:27

In Reply to: Itchy Skin
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Michael Day
Posted on:  November 15, 2002 at 16:31:36

Question:

: I have a 6 year old female JRT, and since I have relocated from MA. to CA. My little JRT has had a serious problem with itchy skin. I've been to the vet who put her on cordisone. I have taken her off that because it is causing axcessive eating, drinking, and bloating.
: I have tried several home remidies such as Flax-seed oil, Aveena, oatmeal baths etc... nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Response:

Hi Michael,

Allergic reactions can be caused by a multitude of things, and without doing allergy tests they can be very difficult to track down. You will have to play detective without the tests. Here are a few things to think about:
1. Household cleaners like rug shampoos, carpet fresheners, etc.
2. Yard sprays.
3. Bedding. I have one terrier who exhibited an allergic reaction when I began using fabric softener on her bedding.
4. Food. Allergies can crop up even when you've kept your dog on the same kibble for years.
5. Plants. This seems pretty suspicious given your move from MA to CA because the flora can be quite different.

Think about what's changed since your move, both inside and outside the house. You may have to resort to allergy tests if needed.

Good Luck,
Judy