Re: JRs and sawdust

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 20, 2002 at 08:55:05

In Reply to: JRs and sawdust
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Sarah
Posted on:  November 20, 2002 at 04:47:42

Question:

: Hi, Ive just had a saw dust path put in my garden. My two JRs pick up their toys and the saw dust ends up in their mouths. Is this going to cause any trouble or will it just pass through them? It is very fine and looks more like sand.

: Also, my girl JR has just turned 1 year and I still haven't noticed any signs of her being on heat. Could I have not noticed or will she be very late? Is it alright to get her spayed without knowing as I have heard it is better to let her have one heat before getting her fixed? Thanks

Response:

Hi Sarah,

The having a bitch have one heat before spaying is an old wives' tale. The sooner you get your girl done the better she will be for it. Prolonging spaying increases her chances of certain cancers, like mammary and uterine.

As far as her heat cycle, she may have had what we call a "silent heat" where there is not much in the way of physical signs to let you know she is in heat.

And with the saw dust I imagine it should pass right through, although I might be concerned what type of tree the saw dust is from.

These are both topics you can discuss with your vet when you make the appointment to spay her.

Regards,
Marie

Additional Reading: Spay/Neuter FAQ